This Thursday, Kelly and I are headed to Austin, TX. for the Modern Quilt Guild’s FIRST annual QuiltCon! We’ll be meeting 650 other attendees, speakers, demonstrators, and vendors at the four day long quilting extravaganza.
“Why would Creativebug be going to QuiltCon?” you might ask. Great question!
The wait is over folks! Quilting workshops will arrive on Creativebug.com this Wednesday, January 20th at the crack of dawn. Just in time to celebrate with ya’ll down in Texas. Yeehaw!
The most exciting part of this category launch is the team of instructors we’ve assembled for you. We dug deep to make a dream list of instructors, and lucky for us (and for YOU) they all said YES! Are you ready to meet your teachers?
Sue Nickels, Kaffe Fassett, Anna Maria Horner, Heather Jones, and Liza Lucy round out our first installment of quilting gurus. Need I say more? Am I tooting our horn a little bit? TOOT TOOT! If you’re not familiar with these names yet, the artist trailers we’re crafting right this very second will give you a taste of their many accomplishments. Trust us when we say that you are in great hands.
The projects and techniques we are rolling out this week will be great for both beginners wary of learning a new craft, and advanced quilters who are already steeped in the cult of fabric. From strip piecing your first baby quilt, to machine quilting on your home sewing machine, we’ve got your bases covered. Nine classes (9!) will launch this Wednesday, with many more to follow in the months to come.
If you want to celebrate with us at QuiltCon, we’ll be hosting a demo with Heather Jones on Thursday Feb. 21st, at 1:30pm. Look for us at Demo Area B. Here’s a map just in case.
And if you’d like me to be your full on cruise director, a hat I’ll wear proudly, here’s my go-to list for lectures and demos this week:
- 1:30p – 2p – Creativebug Presents Heather Jones – Join designer Heather Jones as she shares techniques on strip piecing. From making blocks to finished quilts, piecing with strips of fabric is a versatile way to design and construct quilts. Heather will show you innovative ways to use this technique and will discuss how to incorporate it into your own quilt designs.
- 4p – 4:50p – Everyday Inspiration in ModernQuilts – Lecture by Heather Jones
- 5p – 5:50p – Panel Discussion: Publishing Your First Book – Panelists
Melanie Falick of STC Craft/Melanie Falick Books; Amy Marson, Publisher of C&T Books; Angela Walters, Stash Books author; Allison Korleski, Acquisitions Editor at Interweave books, and Susanne Woods.
- 11a – 11:50a – My Fabric Design Process, from Inspiration to Finished Photoshop Files – Lecture by Heather Ross
- 12:30p – 1p – Make a Fabric Sketchbook w/ Heather Ross – Demo Area B
- 1p – 1:50p – Making Me – Lecture by Anna Maria Horner
- 4:30p – 5p – Janome America presents Valora Hammond – Getting the Most out of Your Sewing Machine – Demo Area B
- 11a – 11:30p – Stitch Lab presents Leslie Bonnell
Sewing with Laminated Cottons – Demo Area A
- 12p – 12:50p – Creating Your Unique Color Story – Lecture by Amy Butler
- 1p – 1:30p – Coat’s & Clark presents the Coats Design Team
Thread Trends for 2013 – Demo Area A
- 3pm – 3:50p – Design Fundamentals of Modern Quilting
Lecture by Heather Grant
- 5:15p – 7p – My Uncertainty Principles – Keynote by Denyse Schmidt
- 12:30p – 1p – superbuzzy presents Kelly Stevens – Foundation Paper Piecing – Demo Area B
If you see me or Kelly traipsing around the event center some say Hi! We’d love to know what excites you most about quilting, and share our excitement with you.
‘Til Texas! XO