Back to school is an exciting time for kids and parents. Plus, it gives an excellent opportunity for lots of CRAFTING! Learn to DIY your own planner, sew a new backpack or customize a pencil case with fun, kid-friendly video tutorials.
Make a School Planner
Staying organized through the school year is necessary whether you are the student or the parent. Having a fully customizable planner that you love looking at is sure to keep you up-to-date on all your activities!
- DIY Year Planner with Faith Hale In this video tutorial, learn how to make a hardback case with chipboard and book cloth, and then assemble your blank pages into an easy-to-use layout that is fully customizable.
- (FREE Printable) Easy DIY Planner with Cleo Papanikolas In this blog post, learn how to make a quick & fast planner, including a free PDF download to speed up the process.
- Planners 101: Creative Ideas for Choosing and Using a Planner with Stephanie Fleming If you don’t want to make your planner from scratch, try this video course from the founder of Happy Planner, full of ideas on how to customize and embellish your planner.
Sew a Backpack
Bring style and function to your school year, with a backpack that shows off your own unique personality.
- Sew a Kid’s Backpack with Annabel Wrigley In this video tutorial, sewers of any skill level will be able to put together this adorable and functional kid-sized backpack in just a weekend. This class will even teach fun sewing techniques such as: making pattern pieces, attaching straps and assembling a lined bag.
- How to Make a Backpack with Nicole Mallalieu In this video tutorial, learn how to make a sturdy bag with interfacing, pockets and hardware. This class is rated intermediate but is great for beginner sewists who are looking to uplevel their skills or advanced sewists looking for a fun project.
- Stamped and Sewn Backpack with bookhou In this video tutorial, create a unique stamp and print your own fabric for your bag. Then learn how to construct the bag, including using leather straps for a beautiful finish.
Make a Pencil Case
Keep all your pencils, pens and small items secured with a cute and easy to DIY pencil case.
- Cricut Crafts: Make a Custom Pencil Pouch with Natalie Malan In this video tutorial, learn how to customize a canvas pencil pouch with a three-layer Cricut design.
- Sew a Canvas Clutch with Elke Bergeron In this video tutorial, learn how to sew a canvas clutch that can be used as a large pencil case or customized to fit exactly what you need. Give it some flair with painted geometric shapes and patterns.
- Embroidered Pencil Case with Rebecca Ringquist In this video tutorial, learn fun embroidery techniques to design your own pencil case.
Craft Your Summer Memories
It is not back to school season without reminiscing on your summer fun! Use these projects to capture that summer adventure and carry the memories with you into the new school year.
- Star Book with Jody Alexander In this video tutorial, learn to create a whimsical three-dimensional book structure that you can use to commemorate photos from your summer break.
- Kids Japanese Side Sewn Book with Jody Alexander In this video tutorial, learn a kid-friendly book structure that kids can write and draw in to create a scrapbook of their summer adventures to look back on.
- Make Friendship Bracelets with Twinkie Chan In this video tutorial, learn five different bracelet designs that are easy to follow. Make friendship bracelets to give to your camp friends or bring them along to your school to share with your new classmates.
Looking for even more back to school craft projects check out our Pinterest board!